Iran: Public Opinion on Foreign, Nuclear and Domestic Issues
International Peace Institute with Charney Research
December 27, 2010
Key findings from national telephone survey of 702 Iranians between August 30 and Sept 7, 2010 include:
- Iranians divided on governments performance.
- Dissatisfied with economy.
- Worry over sanctions and isolation.
- Want to focus on domestic affairs.
- Favor closer ties with the west
- Rising tensions sparked hostility towards the US, Europe, and UN.
- Favor nuclear arms and do not want to back deals that halt enrichment.
- Independent polls do not contractdict official turnout of 2009 election, which gave around 60% of vote to Ahmadinejad.
- Support to religious institutions remains substantial but majority expect democratization.