Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Emerging Challenge
April 27, 2007
- Continuing threat from Neo-Salafi extremist groups; Risk of Sunni Shi’ite divide.
- Lingering uncertain “victory” in Iraq or forced withdrawal.
- Challenge of Iran in political terms, proliferation, asymmetric warfare.
- Problem of restructuring securing posture in the Gulf.
- Need for decisive action in Afghanistan.
- Pakistan as unstable ally.
- Regional impact of perceptions of war on terrorism, Iraq War and Arab-Israeli conflict.