States Weekly: May 29, 2024

Big News: Karnataka reserves 30 percent of all outsourced government jobs for women; Himachal Pradesh Electricity Regulatory Commission introduces the HPERC (Rooftop Solar PV Grid Interactive System) (Third Amendment) Regulations, 2024; Kerala records the highest unemployment rate among states in the 15-29 age group in urban areas for the January-March quarter of 2024 as per Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MOSPI) statistics; and more.

Health 

Andhra Pradesh launches a state-wide vaccination drive aimed at reducing the number of tuberculosis cases, and ultimately eliminating it by 2025. The programme will be implemented in Alluri Sitarama Raju, Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram, Krishna, Guntur, Palnadu, Nellore, Chittoor, Nandyal, YSR Kadapa, Annamayya, and Sri Sathya Sai districts in the first phase. Source: Times of India

Climate Change & Energy

Maharashtra Electricity Regulatory Commission (MERC) proposes the Grid Interactive Rooftop Renewable Energy Generating Systems Second Amendment Regulations, 2024 to allow virtual net-metering for residential consumers. The regulations are targeted at urban residents living in multi-storeyed buildings and are ultimately aimed at promoting rooftop solar installations. Source: Saur Energy; In detail: MERC (Grid Interactive Rooftop Renewable Energy Generating Systems) (Second Amendment) Regulations, 2024

Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation (TANGEDCO) issues new guidelines to implement the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Surakshaevam Utthaan Mahabhiyan (PM-KUSUM) scheme to encourage farmers to install solar energy-powered pump sets. The state plans to implement the scheme for 5,000 agriculture pump sets. The state and the central governments will together provide 60 percent of the cost of the project as subsidy and the farmer will have to bear the remaining 40 percent. Additionally, TANGEDCO will act as a guarantor for loans taken by the farmers to meet this cost. Source: The Hindu

Chhattisgarh State Electricity Regulatory Commission issues a draft order for determining the general tariff for renewable energy technologies in projects for 2024-25. This covers small hydro projects, non-fossil fuel-based cogeneration plants, solar photovoltaic (PV) projects with capacities ranging from 0.5 MW to 2 MW, and biogas-based power projects. Source: Solar Quarter; In detail: CSERC draft order

Himachal Pradesh Electricity Regulatory Commission introduces the HPERC (Rooftop Solar PV Grid Interactive System) (Third Amendment) Regulations, 2024. The primary focus of these changes is to streamline the regulatory process for rooftop solar photovoltaic (PV) systems and enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of solar energy implementation in the state. Source: Solar Quarter; In detail: HPERC (Rooftop Solar PV Grid Interactive System) (Third Amendment) Regulations, 2024

Finance

Nothing critical to report this week

Industrial Policy & Business Regulations  

Nothing critical to report this week.

Land Acquisition & Labor Regulations  

Nothing critical to report this week.

Infrastructure & Governance

Karnataka issues a circular to reserve 33 percent positions for women in outsourced government jobs in all government departments. At present, there are 150,000 outsourced government staff. Therefore, 50,000 posts will be reserved for women employees. Source: NDTV

Water & Sanitation

Nothing critical to report this week.

Center – State Relations 

Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MOSPI) releases the Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS) providing unemployment statistics in 22 states and union territories. Kerala recorded the highest unemployment rate among the 15-29 age group in urban areas for the January-March quarter of 2024, while Delhi had the lowest joblessness rate. Source: Economic Times; In detail: Periodic Labour Force Survey Jan- Mar 2024

Central Electricity Authority releases statistics on transmission lines laid down by different state transmission utilities in FY’24. Uttar Pradesh Power Transmission Corporation Ltd (UPPTCL) has emerged as the leading state in terms of the addition of transmission lines by state transmission utilities having added 1,460 ckm of transmission lines of 220kV or above. Uttar Pradesh is followed by, Gujarat Energy Transmission Corporation Ltd (GETCO) which added 898 ckm, of transmission lines. Source: The Statesman; In detail: Central Electricity Authority report

Any Other

Nothing critical to report this matter.

Image
Akshat Singh
Research Associate, Chair in U.S.-India Policy Studies