Winning in Afghanistan
Afghan Force Development
December 14, 2006
- This briefing is based on a trip to Afghanistan in November 2006.
- Most of the material is adapted, or taken directly, from expert briefings provided on an unclassified level. The opinions are the author’s.
- The rise in threat activity is serious, but must be kept in context.
- The challenges to be overcome a far less serious than in Iraq.
- The US and NATO scored important victories in 2006.
- The Bush Administration is already considering major increases in military and economic aid and limited increases in US forces.
- NATO commanders understand the problems and weaknesses in current NATO forces and rules of engagement, and are seeking to