2010 PONI Spring Conference - Washington, D.C.
The CSIS Project on Nuclear Issues (PONI) held its Spring Conference from April 8-9 at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in downtown Washington, DC. The conference marked the beginning of the 2010 conference series, which consisted of three regional conferences - located on the east coast, west coast, and in the United Kingdom - leading up to our year-end Capstone Conference at Offutt Air Force Base, home to U.S. Strategic Command, in Omaha, Nebraska. The Spring Conference featured panel presentations addressing the following topics:
- The Future of the NPT and the Nonproliferation Regime
- Arms Control and Nonproliferation in South Asia
- Outcomes and Insights from the PONI U.S. – India Dialogue
- Arms Control and Nonproliferation in East Asia
- Refining Approaches to Nuclear Strategy and Deterrence
- Technical Methods for Nuclear Material Detection and Analysis
It also featured keynote remarks by Dr. Bradley Roberts, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Nuclear and Missile Defense Policy and James Cooley, Physicist, X-4 Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory on Developing and Maintaining Weapon Design Expertise in a CTBT Era.
As this was the only PONI conference taking place prior to the 2010 NPT Review Conference, insightful briefings on issues specific to the RevCon were encouraged. The 1-½ -day conference included an evening reception and dinner followed by the conclusion of the first day's conference proceedings.
Click here to view the presentation slides from the conference.