After Suleimani: Crisis, Opportunity, and the Future of the Gulf
The event will be webcast live from this page.
The killing of Gen. Qassem Suleimani in January 2020 sent conflicting signals about the depth of U.S. engagement in the Gulf. The United States seems intent to diminish its presence while keeping an active hand in regional affairs. Meanwhile, Russia and China are exploring ways to reshape their own presence in the region.
Please join the CSIS Middle East Program for a conference to examine the Gulf region in the wake of General Qassem Suleimani's death. Two expert panels will explore security threats and new opportunities for diplomacy in the region. General Joseph L. Votel will then deliver a keynote address on Great Power competition in the Gulf, followed by a Q&A moderated by Jon B. Alterman, senior vice president, Zbigniew Brzezinski chair in global security and geostrategy, and director of the Middle East Program.
8:45 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. | Registration
9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. | Panel: New Security Challenges in the Gulf
- The Honorable John McLaughlin, Distinguished Practitioner in Residence, Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS), and former Acting Director of Central Intelligence
- The Honorable Christine Wormuth, Director, International Security and Defense Policy Center, RAND Corporation, and former Under Secretary of Defense for Policy
10:15 a.m. - 11:15 a.m. | Panel: New Openings for Regional Diplomacy
- Ambassador Anne Patterson, Former Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs, U.S. Department of State
- Ambassador Douglas Silliman, President, The Arab Gulf States Institute in Washington, and former U.S. Ambassador to Iraq
- Dr. Ali Vaez, Iran Project Director, International Crisis Group
11:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. | Keynote Address: Great Power Competition in the Gulf
- General Joseph L. Votel, President and CEO, Business Executives for National Security; Distinguished Senior Fellow on National Security, Middle East Institute; and former Commander of U.S. Central Command
This event is made possible by generous support from the United Arab Emirates Embassy.