Energy Cooperation in the Western Hemisphere: Washington, D.C.
Dr. Sidney Weintraub, who holds CSIS's Simon Chair in Political Economy, is hosting a series of conferences to launch a new book he has edited, Energy Cooperation in the Western Hemisphere: Benefits and Impediments.
The book will be published shortly and will contain 11 country chapters with considerable detail on the energy, economic, political, and social situation in each one. The countries, all producers of oil and/or natural gas, are Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, Peru, Trinidad & Tobago, the United States, and Venezuela. Additional chapters will examine cooperation in North America (Canada, Mexico, and the United States), infrastructure and the environment, comparative regulatory and legal regimes, the roles of China and India in the hemisphere, plus discussions on the hemisphere-wide ramifications of energy cooperation or non-cooperation.
8:30 a.m. — Welcome and Introduction: Dr. John Hamre, president and CEO, CSIS
8:45 a.m. — Opening Remarks: Guy Caruso, administrator, Energy Information Administration (EIA)
Caruso was quoted in a Reuters article "OPEC Cut Impact Seen Small on U.S. Winter Supply."
9 – 10:30 a.m. — Focus on the North America’s Energy Policy
- Energy Policy in Canada: Claude Carrière, minister (economic) and deputy head of mission, Canadian Embassy
- Energy Policy in the United States: Robert Ebel, chairman, CSIS's Energy Program; senior adviser, CSIS
- Energy Policy in Mexico: Dr. Sidney Weintraub, chairholder, William E. Simon Chair in Political Economy, CSIS
- Commentator: Dr. Joseph Dukert
- Chair: Annette Hester, senior associate, CSIS
10:45 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. — Focus on Hemispheric Energy Policy
- Energy Policy in Brazil: Ambassador Roberto Abdenur, Brazilian ambassador to the United States
- Energy Cooperation in the Western Hemisphere: David Pumphrey, deputy assistant secretary for international energy cooperation, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- China and India’s Influence in Latin America’s for Energy Policy: Dr. Wenran Jiang, associate professor and acting director, China Institute, University of Alberta
- Energy Policy in Venezuela and Ecuador: Dr. Lowell Fleischer, senior associate, CSIS
- Chair: Dr. Sidney Weintraub, chairholder, William E. Simon Chair in Political Economy, CSIS
- Commentator: Mr. Hesketh Streeter, senior associate, Wood Mackenzie
12:30 – 2:00 p.m. — Luncheon: Discussion of Country and Regulatory Issues
- Energy Policy in Argentina: Dr. Thomas O’Keefe, president, Mercosur Consulting Group, Ltd.
- Energy Policy in Trinidad & Tobago: Dr. Anthony Bryan, senior associate, CSIS
- Energy Policy in Colombia: Phil McLean, senior associate, CSIS
- Hemispheric Energy Policy and Regulatory Frameworks: Dr. Michelle Foss, director, Center for Energy Economics, Bureau of Economic Geology, University of Texas (invited)