Towards the G8 Summit in Italy
The CSIS Global Strategy Institute and Scholl Chair in International Business, in partnership with the Embassy of Italy and The Diplomatic Courier, will be hosting a conference in anticipation of the 2009 G8 Summit in Italy. The conference will feature panels examining top G8 priorities, including nuclear nonproliferation and the global economic crisis. The event is open to the public but requires RSVP (email Owen Sanderson to RSVP). Confirmed speakers thus far include:
Opening of Conference (9:15 – 9:30 AM): Italian Deputy Chief of Mission Sebastiano Cardi
Panel 1: (9:30 – 10:30 AM) Non-Proliferation: Reducing Global Threats
Panelists will explore the threats of nuclear, biological and chemical weapons in an interconnected world. The conversation will also touch on key nuclear security challenges in South Asia and East Asia. To be followed by audience Q&A.
- Moderator: Erik Peterson, Senior Vice President and Director, Global Strategy Institute, CSIS
- Joseph Cirincione, President, Ploughshares Fund
- Stephen Rademaker, Commissioner, The Commission on the Prevention of Weapons of Mass Destruction Proliferation and Terrorism; former Assistant Secretary of State
Keynote: (10:45 – 11:00 AM) Former Senator Chuck Robb
Panel 2: (11:00 AM – 12:00 AM) The Global Economic Crisis: New Challenges and Ways Forward
This panel discussion will examine the impact of the current global recession and the range of national and international responses. To be followed by audience Q&A.
- Moderator: Steven Schrage, Scholl Chair in International Business, CSIS
- Tim Adams, Managing Director, The Lindsey Group; Former Under Secretary of Treasury for International Affairs
- Nancy Birdsall, President, The Center for Global Development
- Arrigo Sadun, Executive Director, International Monetary Fund
Closing of Conference: (11:45 AM – 12:00 PM)