Transformational Leadership in International Affairs
Please join the Center for Strategic and International Studies for a discussion on senior leadership and diversity. The conference will look at the strategic imperatives for diversifying the senior ranks of U.S. national security agencies and look at new talent management approaches in leading U.S. global companies. The event will feature a keynote address by U.S. Senator Ben Cardin, Ranking Member, Senate Foreign Relations Committee, followed by two panels with senior government and corporate representatives.
9:15 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
Welcome – Ambassador Deborah McCarthy, Executive Director, Diversity and Leadership in International Affairs Project
Introduction of Keynote Speaker – Dr. John Hamre, CSIS President and CEO
9:30 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.
Keynote Address - U.S. Senator Ben Cardin (D-MD), Ranking Member, Senate Foreign Relations Committee
9:45 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.
Panel I Discussion – Diversity: The U.S. National Security Advantage
Introduction of Panel I – Ambassador Deborah McCarthy, Executive Director, Diversity and Leadership in International Affairs Project
- The Honorable Thomas A. Shannon, Under Secretary for Polticial Affairs, U.S. Department of State
- Ambassador Ruth A. Davis, Former Director General, U.S. Department of State, 2015 Economist 'Top Diversity Figures in Public Life'
- Mr. Wa'el Alzayat, Chief Executive Officer, Emgage, former Senior Advisor on Iraq and Syria, USUN
- Ms. Sandra Stanar-Johnson, Director, Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity, NSA
10:45 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Panel II Discussion – Diversity and Inclusion: The Global Business Advantage
Introduction of Panel II – The Honorable Lauri Fitz-Pegado, Partner, The Livingston Group, LLC
- General Lester Lyles, USAF (ret.), Board Member, American Security Project, Chairman of the Board, USAA, Chairman, NASA Advisory Council
- Ms. Cynthia Bowman, Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer, Bank of America, Top 50 Senior Executives Under 50, Diversity MBA Magazine
Please note that the agenda is subject to last-minute change.