Frederic Wehrey: The Internationalization of Libya
This week on Babel, Jon is joined by Frederic Wehrey, senior fellow in the Middle East Program at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. During their discussion, Fred breaks down the conflict in Libya, explaining who is involved and why. Fred and Jon also talk about foreign fighters, drones, and what's next for Libya. Then, Jon, Will, and McKinley Knoop discuss similarities and differences between the conflicts in Libya and Syria.
- Sandy Alkoutami and Frederic Wehrey, “China’s Balancing Act,” Lawfare, May 10, 2020.
- Frederic Wehrey, “Libya and Coronavirus” in Coronavirus in Conflict Zones: A Sobering Landscape, ed. by Jarrett Blanc and Frances Z. Brown, April 14, 2020.
- Frederic Wehrey, “'Our Hearts Are Dead.’ After 9 Years of Civil War, Libyans Are Tired of Being Pawns in a Geopolitical Game of Chess,” Time, February 12, 2020.
- Frederic Wehrey, “Libya’s Bloodshed Will Continue Unless Foreign Powers Stop Backing Khalifa Haftar,” Guardian, February 2, 2020.
- Episode Transcript: The Internationalization of Libya, CSIS, June 16, 2020.