Hanna Notte: Russia in the Middle East After Ukraine
This week on Babel, Jon speaks with Hanna Notte, a senior research associate with the Vienna Center for Disarmament and Non-Proliferation. They talk about Russia's interests in the Middle East and where they stand after the invasion of Ukraine, Russia's growing economic and defense relationship with Iran, and how Arab states view Russia's war in Ukraine. Then, Jon continues the conversation with Natasha Hall and Danny Sharp, discussing the implications for U.S. policy in the region and what U.S. decision-makers should do about it.
- Hanna Notte, “Don’t Expect Any More Russian Help on the Iran Nuclear Deal,” War on the Rocks, November 3, 2022.
- Hanna Notte, “The Impact of Russia’s Ukraine Invasion in the Middle East and North Africa,” Congressional Testimony, Before the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on the Middle East, North Africa, and Global Counterterrorism, 117th Congress, May 18, 2022.
- Jon Alterman, "The Middle East's Indifference to Ukraine is a Warning," Defense One, May 12, 2022.
- Hanna Notte, “Will Western-Russian Confrontation Shake the Middle East?” War on the Rocks, March 29, 2022.
- Transcript, "Russia in the Middle East After Ukraine," CSIS, January 24, 2023.
Senior Vice President, Zbigniew Brzezinski Chair in Global Security and Geostrategy, and Director, Middle East Program
Senior Fellow, Middle East Program
Associate Director and Associate Fellow, Middle East Program