Just Transition Planning in the U.S. and South Africa
Jesse Burton (University of Cape Town) and Joey James (Downstream Strategies) join Sandeep Pai (CSIS) to discuss progress and challenges in creating and implementing Just Transition policies in Coal communities in the United States, South Africa and India. They look at local remediation efforts, and state policies and frameworks, look forward to how these countries may further integrate just Transition Planning into broader, global climate policies.
Joey James is Principal at Downstream Strategies, an environmental and economic development consulting firm based in West Virginia.
Jesse Burton is a senior associate at E3G in London, and a researcher in the Energy Systems research group at the University of Cape Town.
- GOT FIVE ON IT: Economic Impacts and Observations of the Abandoned Mine Land Economic Revitalization Program Five Years In
- Moving forward at warp speed: Abandoned mine reclamation over the coming years
- A Framework for a Just Transition in South Africa: A Presidential Climate Commission Report
- Understanding Just Transitions in Coal Dependent Communities: Case Studies from Mpumalanga, South Africa, and Jharkhand, India
- Just Transition Finance Roadmap
Associate Director for Energy Education and Public Programming, Energy Security and Climate Change Program
Senior Associate (Non-resident), Energy Security and Climate Change Program