Free, Prior, and Informed Consent: Navigating Indigenous Land Rights and the Clean Energy Sector
How can we protect the rights of Indigenous Peoples to make decisions about their lands and livelihoods amidst growing demand for land-intensive renewable energy and critical minerals? Join us as we discuss the status of indigenous land rights with two prominent indigenous rights activists, Joan Carling, Global Director of Indigenous Peoples Rights International, and Janene Yazzie, Southwest Regional Director, NDN Collective.
- Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People: https://www.un.org/development/desa/indigenouspeoples/declaration-on-the-rights-of-indigenous-peoples.html
- Information on Free, Prior, and Informed Consent: https://www.ohchr.org/en/indigenous-peoples/consultation-and-free-prior-and-informed-consent-fpic
- Indigenous People's Rights International: https://iprights.org/
- NDN Collective: https://ndncollective.org/
- CSIS Commentary “The Biden-Harris Administration Should Engage Ecuador” https://www.csis.org/analysis/biden-harris-administration-should-engage-ecuador
- Renewable Energy & Human Rights Benchmark: https://www.business-humanrights.org/en/from-us/briefings/renewable-energy-human-rights-benchmark-2/