The Program was established with the clear, forward-looking mission to elevate the policy discussion on the Western Hemisphere. The program aims to influence through timely, practical, and insightful analysis and policy recommendations for partners in the United States and the region.
The Americas Program focuses on six thematic priorities:
- Regional security, particularly in Mexico, the Northern Triangle, Colombia, and the impact of the Venezuelan crisis on the region.
- The long-term impact of China’s rise and great-power rivalry in the Americas.
- Democratic backsliding and the rise of autocracies.
- The resurgence of transnational criminal organizations, growing illicit economies, and the existence of criminal regimes.
- Weak rule of law, endemic corruption, and human rights violations.
- The emergence of significant regional powers, such as Brazil, in an increasingly multipolar world.
CSIS Americas director Ryan C. Berg responds to criticisms of the Zones for Employment and Economic Development in Honduras, and argues they represent an important mechanism for economic growth and nearshoring.
Commentary by Ryan C. Berg — January 26, 2023
All content by Americas Program
Commentary by Daniel F. Runde and Ryan C. Berg — June 6, 2022
Commentary by Juan Cruz , Henry Ziemer , and Francisco de Santibañes — May 31, 2022
USAID MujerProspera / WomanProsper Winners Announcement Event: “Advancing Gender Equality in El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras”
Event by Ryan C. Berg , Samantha Power , Jamille Bigio , Maria Nelly Rivas , Michael Camilleri , Denisse McClean Rodriguez , Ana Landa , and Mirna Regina Valiente — May 26, 2022
Podcast Episode by Juan Cruz — May 26, 2022
Commentary by Vincent Rigby and Thomas Juneau — May 24, 2022
Podcast Episode by Mariana Campero — May 18, 2022
Commentary by Antonio De La Cruz — May 18, 2022
Event by Ryan C. Berg , Dr. Riddhi "Sohan" Dasgupta , Kathia Yacamán , and Welby Leaman — May 16, 2022
Podcast Episode by Ryan C. Berg — May 12, 2022
Podcast Episode by Ryan C. Berg — May 5, 2022