The Program was established with the clear, forward-looking mission to elevate the policy discussion on the Western Hemisphere. The program aims to influence through timely, practical, and insightful analysis and policy recommendations for partners in the United States and the region.
The Americas Program focuses on six thematic priorities:
- The authoritarian regimes in Venezuela, Nicaragua, and Cuba as well as democratic backsliding in other countries as a driver of regional instability.
- Economic development, strengthening supply chains, forging closer trade linkages between the United States and the region, and nearshoring critical industries.
- The long-term impact of China’s rise, the continued relevance of Russia and other extra-hemispheric powers, in a region shaped by strategic rivalry.
- Security, especially transnational criminal organizations and illicit economies, particularly in Mexico, the Northern Triangle, and Colombia.
- Governance challenges and their effects, including weak rule of law, endemic corruption, migration, inequality, and human rights violations.
- Civil-military relations and defense cooperation.
CSIS Americas Director Ryan C. Berg and Henry Ziemer evaluate China's advances in the security and defense sector across Latin America and the Caribbean, and discuss options for U.S. responses.
Report by Ryan C. Berg and Henry Ziemer — October 19, 2023
In the News
Ryan C. Berg in Bloomberg — December 1, 2023
Ryan C. Berg in Bloomberg — November 30, 2023
Ryan C. Berg in War on the Rocks — November 29, 2023
Christopher Hernandez-Roy in Latin America Advisor — November 29, 2023
Ryan C. Berg in El Universal — November 26, 2023
Ryan C. Berg in Barrons — November 21, 2023
Ryan C. Berg in Politico — November 20, 2023
Ryan C. Berg in CNA — November 17, 2023
All Americas Program Content