CSIS on Donald Trump’s First Summit with President Xi Jinping of ChinaPresident Donald Trump will host President Xi Jinping of China at Mar-a-Lago on April 6–7. This will be the first opportunity for the two leaders to take the measure of the other in person and hopefully establish some sort of personal rapport. The White House has announced that they will discuss global, regional, and bilateral issues of mutual concern, with a particular focus on the North Korean nuclear problem and the steady increase in bilateral economic and trade friction.
- CSIS Critical Questions on the summit (April 3): How are Trump and Xi approaching this summit? Why would Xi risk a summit meeting now? What will Trump expect from Xi on North Korea? These questions and more are answered by members of our Asia team: Victor Cha, Bonnie Glaser, Matthew P. Goodman, Michael J. Green, Christopher K. Johnson, and Scott Kennedy.
- CSIS press briefing (April 3rd): CSIS experts Christopher K. Johnson, Bonnie Glaser, and Scott Kennedy preview the trip and take questions from both the U.S. and international press in attendance.
- CSIS Commentary (March 14): Tomb Sweeping Day: Deadline for a U.S. China Policy by Scott Kennedy.
On North Korea:
- How Trump and Xi Should Deal with North Korea: Korea Chair Snapshot (April 3).
- Trump Enacts DPRK Sanctions Prior to U.S.-China Summit: Korea Chair Snapshot (March 31).
Watch and Listen On Demand:
- Watch Ambassador J. Stapleton Roy, Founding Director Emeritus of the Kissinger Institute on China and the United States at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Kevin Nealer, Principal and Partner at The Scowcroft Group, Christopher K. Johnson, Freeman Chair in China Studies at CSIS, and Scott Kennedy, Deputy Director, Freeman Chair in China Studies and Director, Project on Chinese Business and Political Economy at CSIS discuss the visit at an April 3 event at CSIS.
- The Cogitasia podcast previews the trip with Dr. Jeffrey Wasserstrom, Chancellor’s Professor of History at the University of California-Irvine