Frequently Asked Questions about AIF
How do I apply?
Applications for the April 2021 Fellowship will open on September 30, 2020. If you are interested in participating, please check back then. Applications must be completed by November 20, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. All responses must fit within the minimum and maximum word count guidelines, 150-250 words per response. Applications cannot be considered if they are incomplete.
Can I save my application and return to it later?
Yes. To do so, you must click the "Save and Continue" button at the bottom of the page. To successfully return to complete your application later, you should use the original link, as well as the same browser and computer or device.
We recommend that you look over the application requirements and prepare materials and responses offline, so that you can complete the online application in one sitting. Click here to view a preview of the AIF application essay questions.
How much is tuition and what does it cover?
Tuition for the week-long program is $4,500. This includes five full days of briefings with senior foreign policy experts, experiential leadership and communication training, ethics workshops, excursions, and two daily meals (breakfast and lunch). Tuition does not include transportation or lodging, which are the responsibility of the participant.
Will CSIS assist in the visa application process?
Participants are responsible for applying for a visa in time to attend the April program. CSIS may provide a letter of invitation if required but will not sponsor or pay for visas or other associated travel costs.
Is there any financial assistance available?
Extremely limited tuition assistance may be available for an outstanding candidate from the not-for-profit sector who is unable to bear the tuition cost or obtain financial support from his or her employers and/or affiliated institutions. Please note that any support can ONLY be applied to offset the AIF tuition fee. Participants are responsible for all travel and lodging expenses.
How do I apply for financial assistance?
Candidates who intend to apply for financial aid will be redirected to the financial aid application within the online AIF application form.
See if you are a qualified candidate for AIF by reviewing the criteria for applicants:
- Academic background: Completion of university degree is required, with an advanced degree preferred.
- Professional background: Candidates must be mid-career professionals with a minimum of five years of experience in their chosen profession. This experience should demonstrate significant professional accomplishments and experiences that show commitment to positive impact in a leadership role.
- Leadership potential: AIF participants must be knowledgeable, passionate, and ethical leaders who are driven to excel in their respective fields. They should exhibit exceptional leadership potential, either through experience, promotion, community action, or as witnessed by peers and superiors, and should be able to express how the AIF program will benefit them as future leaders.
- Relevance of experience to AIF: Candidates should have a demonstrated or articulated interest in the areas that correspond to the program areas of AIF, i.e., leadership, ethics, and global issues.
- English proficiency: Due to the interactive and collaborative nature of AIF, it is essential for each candidate to be proficient in both written and conversational English.