In conjunction with the SWSP Speaker Series, the SWSP Membership Circles recognize leading women to join and support independent research and bipartisan analysis, engage with CSIS experts, and network with other leaders who are working to address global challenges.
Minister Park Young-sun, former Minister of SMEs and Startups of the Republic of Korea, discussed the Korea-U.S. economic alliance and tasks after the Moon Jae-in Administration with Dr. John J. Hamre and Korea Chair Dr. Victor Cha. Please find a script of her introductory remarks here.
Liz Smith, Executive Chairman of the Board and former CEO of Bloomin’ Brands, discussed the importance of female representation on corporate boards.
Roundtable discussion of “The Use of U.N. Sanctions to Address Conflict-Related Sexual Violence,” a new report from the Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace and Security (GIWPS). The speakers included report author Sophie Huvé as well as GIWPS Managing Director, Dr. Jeni Klugman, and Naz Durakoglu, Senior Policy Adviser to Senator Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH). Ambassador Wafa Bughaighis of Libya also attended.
Her Excellency Kersti Kaljulaid, President of Estonia discussed cyber security, education, and the challenges facing democratic institutions in Western societies with SWSP Membership Circles participants and select guests.
Afghan Women’s Delegation -- Co-hosted by SWSP and the Project on Prosperity and Development
Seven of Afghanistan’s top women leaders discussed their country’s security and economic challenges and their government’s efforts to bring women and young people into public service.
- Adela Raz, Deputy Foreign Minister for Economic Cooperation
- Naheed Sarabi, Deputy Minister for Policy in the Ministry of Finance
- Shaharzad Akbar, Senior Adviser to the President on High Councils
- Naheed Esar, Director of Policy and Analysis, Administrative Office of the President
- Ghizaal Haress, Commissioner, Independent Commission for Overseeing the Implementation of the Constitution
- Dr. Zohra Nawabi, Member, Provincial Council of Kabul Province
- Muqaddessa Yourish, Appointment Board Commissioner, Independent Administrative Reforms and Civil Service Commission
Documentary Screening and Discussion – “The Judge” with Ambassador (ret.) Diana Lady Dougan, Executive Producer
“The Judge” tells the story of the first woman judge appointed to the Middle East’s Shari’a (Islamic) law courts.
All Private Events Content
The Women Who Took on ISIS: A Conversation with Gayle Tzemach Lemmon, Author, The Daughters of Kobani
Event — March 8, 2021
Event — June 5, 2020
Event — June 4, 2020
Event — June 3, 2020
Event — June 2, 2020
Event — January 14, 2020