The Future of Venezuela Initiative
Venezuela is a failed state that poses a significant security threat to the Western Hemisphere. The Future of Venezuela Initiative of the Center for Strategic & International Studies is led by Senior Fellow Ryan C. Berg influences policy dialogue on the future of Venezuela through strategic convening and critical research and policy analysis that produces practical, evidence-based, and forward-looking policy recommendations.
Recent programming includes the following topics:
- A roadmap and lessons for negotiations in Venezuela.
- Violence and insecurity amidst the burgeoning presence of non-state actors.
- Growing geopolitical challenges borne of foreign actors that prop up the Maduro Regime.
- Tackling environmental degradation caused by illegal mining and gas flaring.
- The role of the oil sector in Venezuela’s economic degradation and economic rebuilding.
- Improving the effectiveness of humanitarian assistance to Venezuelan migrants in neighboring countries and attending to the humanitarian crisis unfolding in Venezuela.
- Advancing effective political engagement of youth and women in a democratic transition.
- The effect and future of international sanctions on Venezuela.