Daniel Yergin: The Global Energy Transition
This week on Babel, Jon talks with Daniel Yergin, the vice-chairman of IHS Markit and author of the new book, The New Map: Energy, Climate, and the Clash of Nations. They discuss the global energy transition and the longevity of oil, the effects of the shale revolution on U.S. foreign policy, and how states such as China will think about energy security moving forward. Then, Jon Natasha Hall, and Danny Sharp continue the conversation about the energy transition and its implications for oil producers in the Middle East.
- Jon Alterman, "A New Revolution in the Middle East," CSIS, July 22, 2021.
- Daniel Yergin, “How will the pandemic affect the sprint away from fossil fuels?” The Guardian, October 8, 2020.
- Daniel Yergin, “How the shale revolution has redrawn the global political map,” The Dallas Morning News, September 20, 2020.
- Daniel Yergin, “The New Geopolitics of Energy,” The Wall Street Journal, September 11, 2020.
- Episode Transcript, "The Global Energy Transition," CSIS, August 24, 2021.
Senior Vice President, Zbigniew Brzezinski Chair in Global Security and Geostrategy, and Director, Middle East Program
Senior Fellow, Middle East Program
Associate Director and Associate Fellow, Middle East Program