The Program was established with the clear, forward-looking mission to elevate the policy discussion on the Western Hemisphere. The program aims to influence through timely, practical, and insightful analysis and policy recommendations for partners in the United States and the region.
The Americas Program focuses on six thematic priorities:
- The authoritarian regimes in Venezuela, Nicaragua, and Cuba as well as democratic backsliding in other countries as a driver of regional instability.
- Economic development, strengthening supply chains, forging closer trade linkages between the United States and the region, and nearshoring critical industries.
- The long-term impact of China’s rise, the continued relevance of Russia and other extra-hemispheric powers, in a region shaped by strategic rivalry.
- Security, especially transnational criminal organizations and illicit economies, particularly in Mexico, the Northern Triangle, and Colombia.
- Governance challenges and their effects, including weak rule of law, endemic corruption, migration, inequality, and human rights violations.
- Civil-military relations and defense cooperation.
CSIS Americas Director Ryan C. Berg and Henry Ziemer evaluate China's advances in the security and defense sector across Latin America and the Caribbean, and discuss options for U.S. responses.
Report by Ryan C. Berg and Henry Ziemer — October 19, 2023
In the News
Christopher Hernandez-Roy in Voice of America — December 8, 2023
Ryan C. Berg in Yahoo Finance — December 7, 2023
Evan Ellis in The Dispatch — December 2, 2023
Ryan C. Berg in AP — December 1, 2023
Evan Ellis in Global Americans — November 30, 2023
Ryan C. Berg in Bloomberg — November 30, 2023
Ryan C. Berg in War on the Rocks — November 29, 2023
Christopher Hernandez-Roy in Latin America Advisor — November 29, 2023
All Americas Program Content
Event — December 8, 2023
Critical Questions by Ryan C. Berg and Christopher Hernandez-Roy — December 8, 2023
La estrategia espacial en las Américas, un panorama en evolución / Space Strategy in the Americas, an evolving panorama
Podcast Episode by Laura Delgado López — December 7, 2023
Event — December 4, 2023
Event — December 1, 2023
Commentary by Christopher Hernandez-Roy — December 1, 2023
Commentary by Ryan C. Berg — November 29, 2023
Podcast Episode by Ryan C. Berg — November 29, 2023
Commentary by Betilde Muñoz-Pogossian and Alexandra Winkler — November 27, 2023
Commentary by Christopher Hernandez-Roy Nate Laske and Henry Ziemer — November 16, 2023