The Future of Venezuela Initiative
The Project influences policy dialogue on the future of Venezuela through strategic convening and critical research and policy analysis that produces practical, evidence-based, and forward-looking policy recommendations
Venezuela is a failed state that poses a significant security threat to the Western Hemisphere. The Future of Venezuela Initiative of the Center for Strategic & International Studies is led by director Ryan C. Berg.
Recent programming includes the following topics:
- A roadmap and lessons for negotiations in Venezuela.
- Violence and insecurity amidst the burgeoning presence of non-state actors.
- Growing geopolitical challenges borne of foreign actors that prop up the Maduro Regime.
- Tackling environmental degradation caused by illegal mining and gas flaring.
- The role of the oil sector in Venezuela’s economic degradation and economic rebuilding.
- Improving the effectiveness of humanitarian assistance to Venezuelan migrants in neighboring countries and attending to the humanitarian crisis unfolding in Venezuela.
- Advancing effective political engagement of youth and women in a democratic transition.
- The effect and future of international sanctions on Venezuela.
- Henry Ziemer
- Program Coordinator and Research Assistant, Americas Program
All content by The Future of Venezuela Initiative
- Civil Society (20)
- Climate Change (2)
- Counterterrorism and Homeland Security (3)
- COVID-19 (3)
- Cybersecurity (1)
- Defense and Security (18)
- Defense Budget and Acquisition (1)
- Defense Industry, Acquisition, and Innovation (1)
- Defense Strategy and Capabilities (4)
- Economics (8)
- Energy and Geopolitics (3)
- Energy and Sustainability (5)
- Energy Innovation (1)
- Energy Markets, Trends, and Outlooks (2)
- Food Security (3)
- Geopolitics and International Security (19)
- Global Economic Governance (1)
- Global Health (3)
- Governance and Rule of Law (34)
- Health and Security (1)
- Humanitarian Assistance (19)
- Human Mobility (1)
- Human Rights (44)
- Human Security (13)
- International Development (48)
- Multilateral Institutions (1)
- Private Sector Development (2)
- Technology (1)
- Trade and International Business (5)
- Transitional Justice (5)
- U.S. Development Policy (16)
The Road to 2024 in Venezuela: A Conversation with María Corina Machado
Event by María Corina Machado , Ryan C. Berg , and Christopher Hernandez-Roy — June 7, 2023
Less Conversation, More Action: Takeaways from the Bogotá Conference on Venezuela
Commentary by Jose Ignacio Hernández — May 10, 2023
A Conversation with Juan Guaidó, Former Interim President of Venezuela
Event by Ryan C. Berg , Christopher Hernandez-Roy , and Juan Guaidó — May 5, 2023
At the 90-Day Mark of PDVSA’s Coronel Tellechea
Commentary by Antonio De La Cruz — April 27, 2023
The Venezuelan External Public Debt Crisis: Everything Everywhere All at Once
Commentary by Jose Ignacio Hernández — March 30, 2023
Venezuela: The Country in the Americas with the Highest Degree of Impunity
Commentary by Antonio De La Cruz — March 6, 2023
The Final Blow: Uncertainty of the Venezuelan Transition from the Interim Presidency
Commentary by Jose Ignacio Hernández — February 13, 2023
Sharpening the Democracy Playbook: A Practical Approach for Venezuela
Event by Ryan C. Berg , Christopher Sabatini , José Ignacio Hernandez , and Alexandra Winkler — August 25, 2022
Venezuela's 2024 Elections: Understanding Participation under Unfree and Unfair Conditions
Brief by Ryan C. Berg and Henry Ziemer — August 23, 2022
Maduro’s Fortune: Petro in Colombia and a Left-Leaning Latin America
Commentary by Ryan C. Berg and Alexandra Winkler — June 27, 2022