CSIS offers full-time and part-time internships for undergraduates, advanced students, and recent graduates who are interested in gaining practical experience in public policy. Interns participate in a variety of activities that support individual programs, including research, writing and project development. In addition, interns will participate in programs offered by the the Abshire-Inamori Leadership Academy (AILA), the in-house leadership development program at CSIS. The Academy’s programming supplements the substantive work of CSIS interns with practical discussions on leadership in international affairs and training in key policy skills. Unique among Washington think tanks, AILA helps CSIS to foster the next generation of foreign policy leaders.
At CSIS you are applying for an internship spot with a specific Department and/or Program and not a generic internship program. The individual department and/or program will review internship applications. Carefully read over the application requirements for each individual internship you are applying to, to make sure you submit everything that is being asked on the Job Description.
- Spring semester interns work at CSIS from the months of January through May. Spring internship are typically posted in October after the Fall semester interns have started.
- Summer semester interns work at CSIS from the months of June through August. Summer internships are posted in February after the Spring semester interns have started.
- Fall semester interns work at CSIS from the months of September through December. Fall internships are typically posted in June after the Summer semester interns have started.
- Must be at least a college junior in good standing, an advanced student or a recent graduate.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
CSIS accepts applications for every position listed on our career portal. The listings will be available until the hiring manager for the open position has found an applicant to fill the position, or the hiring manager has received more than enough qualified applications and has started the interview stage of the hiring process.
CSIS only accepts applications sent electronically through the online applicant tracking system. We do not accept direct mailings or in-person paper submissions.